After qualifying as a Chartered Production Engineer and working in the manufacturing industry, Richard’s career in higher education commenced in 2000 at Sheffield Hallam University. Richard has held a number of academic teaching, research and leadership posts over the last 18 years.
In 2010, Richard joined the University of Derby with a remit to lead the development of innovative learning and teaching practices using Enquiry Based Learning, as well developing academic staff for the School’s first submission to an external research assessment exercise (REF2014)
In 2017, Richard joined the University of Huddersfield as Head of the Department of Informatics (now Computer Science).
Richard has extensive experience of university curriculum design, development and examination from Foundation Degree to Doctorate level.
Richard has considerable experience of the design and delivery of academic programmes in partnership with employers such as Capgemini, SAP, Atos and SAS, as well as with overseas educational institutions. Richard is passionate about the use of technology to enhance learning both in universities and within the workplace, and has created work-based and distance learning programmes with industrial partners.
As an advocate of digital transformation, Richard has led institutional projects that:
- improve student attainment, engagement, continuation and widen participation amongst disadvantaged applicant populations;
- use predictive analytics for the strategic allocation of resources such as widening participation support and digital marketing;
- introduce a holistic model of academic work planning that integrates teaching, research and scholarly activities;
- establish a coaching culture that is based around academic enhancement of the student and staff experience.
Richard maintains a discipline research profile in the fields of agent-oriented computing, Cloud computing, Enterprise Architecture, Internet of Things (IoT) and analytics for Big Data, and has published in excess of 150 peer-reviewed articles. Richard was submitted to both RAE 2008 and REF 2014 research exercises.
Richard is a Fellow of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (FIET), a Chartered Engineer (CEng), a Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute (FCMI), a Chartered Manager (CMgr), and a Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (PFHEA).
Read the latest posts from Richard:
- iSCI2020 Invited Talk: Cyber-Physical Systems research challenges
- How to create flexible learning materials quickly
- Lead time
- Deeper reflection for practitioners
- ADVANCE – Analytics
- ADVANCE – cultivate your culture
- University: creating a vision
- Push, pull, manage
- Digital manufacturing: start small
- Manufacturing science